The world just turned too fast for me this week – still playing catch up after the first Parent Group meeting at my daughters school. Sorry for the very late Three Way Thursday!
This week it’s an oldie but a goodie – Eastern Blooms. This set often gets ignored because people just remember the cherry blossoms and think it can only be used on oriental looking cards. Even though I love that look, not one of the cards below could be described as ‘eastern’ looking.
Example 1: Miss You Much
- Stamp Set: Eastern Blooms, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
- Inks: Daffodil Delight, Poppy Parade, Peach Parfait
- CS: Daffodil Delight, Whisper White
- Big Shot: Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder
- Accessories: Brights Brads, Linen Thread
A very simple card, that came together in minutes. Would also make a bright and cheery birthday or thankyou card. In fact it would be very easy to stamp a whole sheet of Whisper White in the three colours, and then make a few cards at the same time, especially if you’re using Teeny Tiny Sentiments, which has a greeting for every occassion. I had originally planned to mask the flowers so it looked all neat and tidy, but impatience got the better of me, and I went for higgledy piggledy instead. Sometimes neat is boring.
Example 2: May All Your Wishes Come True
- Stamp Sets: Eastern Blooms, Heard from the Heart
- Ink: Daffodil Delight, Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, Old Olive
- CS: Daffodil Delight, Early Espresso, Old Olive, Whisper White
- Accessories: Antique Brad, Linen Thread, Chantilly Crochet Trim, Piercing Tool, Brights Brad, Scallop Edge Punch
I made this card while I was playing along with an Inklings Challenge – this one was to pick a random page from the current Summer Mini catalogue, and create something inspired by that particular page. My card is based on one from page 18 – I really like this layout, and will probably be using it again very soon! The other great thing about most of the flowers from the Eastern Blooms set is that they’re very easy to cut out, if you’d like to create some 3D magic on your card. Speaking of 3D magic, I hope you like my next creation…
Example 3: Owl Punch Rose
- Stamp Sets: Eastern Blooms, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
- Ink: Rose Red, Wild Wasabi
- CS: Rose Red, So Saffron, Whisper White, Old Olive
- Big Shot: Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder, Tiny Tags Sizzlet
- Accessories: Antique Brad, Old Olive Grosgrain Ribbon, Owl Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Tombow Adhesive
I’d love to say that I was creative enough to come up with the idea of using the owl piece from the Owl Punch to use as petals for a rose, but alas, it was not me. This idea comes from the fabulously talented Valita – please go over to her blog and give her some love! She is very generous with her ideas, and has provided a how-to video on her blog.
I love how easy it is to create this rose with the owl punch and scallop circle punch. I think the Eastern Blooms cherry blossom behind it gives it a bit of height and drama – as if the colour combination wasn’t already dramatic enough!
This card was also part of the Inklings Challenge – to use Rose Red, Wild Wasabi and So Saffron together. Not a combination that I’d usually use, but I think I like it. I was a bit stuck to begin with, until I remembered those beautiful roses that are rose red on the edges and yellow in the centre, and then it all flowed from there. If you’re stuck, nature usually has come up with the best ideas before you!
Thanks so much for taking a peek this week – and once again, I apologise for my tardiness – hopefully will be back on track by Monday!